Saturday 29 December 2012

Caramel macarons - Me vs Adriano Zumbo

I do love a salted caramel macaron. Ever since I had that Pierre Herme one in Paris. Alright, mentioning that is showing off.

This year I tried the Salted Caramel macaron kit by Adriano Zumbo, the Australia enfant terrible of the macaron world.

This kit is GOOD! I didn't time myself, but it was a not-excessive amount of time in the kitchen, and a result I would willingly pay for at a cafe. The look of them was pretty consistent (for me). Well, see those first two pictures.

But of course, I do like to bake, AND Jeff gave me Zumbo's own macaron cookbook for Christmas, so I decided to make the same recipe the proper way. They'll probably be even better, right?

Well, check the last two pictures. The caramel tastes good, but darned if I can get it to the exact consistency to stay put. The plate is basically one big lump now. Shells are a bit rough. Shape isn't rounded. Didn't have any brown colouring (I am in Nana's kitchen). There was that incident with the thermometer, that caused my first batch of Italian meringue to be hideously lumpy. But they should be excellent with coffee.







No comments: