Saturday 6 June 2009

I make tomato jam


Tomato jam - mmm, that sounds nice.

Here's how you make it : first, buy some cheap tomatoes at the greengrocer (they were $1 a kilo this week, that's why I did this project).

Roast them for FOUR hours, then put them through the food strainer attachment on the mixer. That pushes all the skins and seeds out, and saves the tasty tomato pulp in the big bowl. It's a particularly attractive process. See, you can't tell me that doesn't look yummy.







And how about we enjoy the look of the compressed skins and seeds: Everyone asked me why I threw them away...

Then you cook the puree up with a mix of garlic, chillies, ginger and other good things, until its thick and rich. Jar it up in sterilised jars, and get your clever daughter to label them.

No comments: